Early Photo of Red Cloud
Unknown maker, circa 1880. In this photograph labeled only as “Old View of Red Cloud, Nebr.,” local historian Mabel Cooper Skjelver identifies this as “the west side of Webster Street between Second and Third Avenues.” She reminds readers of her book, Webster County: Visions of the Past that the “business center of the town” was located at 3rd and Webster, instead of the intersection of the highways we think of today. The area shown here is where Red Cloud's City Park is now located.
Caroline Newhouse Somerhalter
PHO-4-W689-500. Willa Cather Pioneer Memorial Collection. Willa Cather Foundation Collections and Archives at the National Willa Cather Center in Red Cloud, Nebraska.